Thursday, August 19, 2010

Primal Peppermint Patties

Hot dog. And by "hot dog", I mean: PEPPERMINT PATTY!

I adapted this based on Joyful Abode's recipe. I didn't have coconut chips at my disposal, so here's my version, which is based on what I had handy. The next time I do these, I'll totally pour the mix into muffin cups or individual Dixie cups one at a time (in the picture above, I had poured to the top of the cup, and sliced after freezing).



Primal Peppermint Patties
Makes 10 large patties

Ingredients
1 banana
1 can of coconut milk's thick coconut cream, extra liquid poured off* and not mixed in
4 tablespoons melted coconut oil, to add to mix
2 teaspoons peppermint extract, or to taste
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (the darker the better)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, to mix with chips
Sheet parchment paper or wax paper
10 wax-lined small Dixie cups

Directions
In blender, combine banana, coconut cream, melted coconut oil, and peppermint extract. Pour these about 1/4 inch deep into wax-lined small Dixie cups, and freeze at least 2 hours.

Once patty centers are frozen, melt coconut oil and chocolate chips in the microwave, and stir. Working quickly, remove the patties from the freezer and peel the cup away. Dip the frozen patties in the melted chocolate and lay out on parchment paper to cool. Store in fridge or freezer, and serve cool.

***
Funny side story: as I was trying to assemble these last night, I microwaved the chips, when the noise woke my 8-month old daughter. "Here," I said, handing the melted chocolate to my bewildered mom, who had no idea of what to do or where I was in the process. I slammed the parchment paper and knife on the counter, gave her a short scenario of my intentions, noting, "...when I get back up I'd just have to microwave it and wake her up all over again." She took the still-melty chocolate and made the patties for us all. And isn't the one above so pretty? Go, Mom!

*Incidentally, this poured-off coconut water-type stuff makes a great emulsifying base for some primal hot chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. Can you taste the banana?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous,

    In this instance the banana could be tasted, a bit. An alternative is to combine coconut milk and/or coconut manna - you'll probably get a minty coconutty taste, then.

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments, each and every one!

Please note that comments that are off-topic or of a gratuitously promotional nature will not be published. Also, for reasons of privacy, comments with my name or family members' names will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...