Monday, January 17, 2011

Primal / Paleo Oktoberfest / "Mocktoberfest" - Gluten-Free Schnitzel with German Potato Salad


Come to Mama.

At last, I tackled "Mocktoberfest". Being partly of German extraction - and having lived in Germany for a time, sometimes I just need a good Schnitzel. Schnitten is the German verb for to cut, so you can bread and fry cutlets of just about any meat. Popular choices are beef (especially veal), chicken, and pork. The problem? Breaded Schnitzeln are ... uh ... breaded. Hence my adaptation for those living primally who need to hearken back to the Mutterland every so often.

Today we cuddled ours up next to some German Potato Salad (recipe below) and some canned red Sauerkraut. (If you are looking for a homemade red Sauerkraut recipe, check out AndreAnna's crockpot red cabbage recipe - looks delish!)

German Potato Salad

Ingredients
3 lb. potatoes, peeled and diced into 1" cubes
1/2 cup mayonnaise (you can make your own if you're up for it)
1/2 c. crumbled bacon or bacon pieces
1/2 c. finely diced white onion (this is optional; I left it out today since my husband and his side of the family can't tolerate them)
1/2 c. melted butter (I used Kerrygold)
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
To a boiling pot of salted water, add the cubed potato. Boil for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and use a slotted spoon to spoon the potato cubes into a medium bowl. Whisk together remaining ingredients into a dressing, then pour over warm potato cubes. Allow potato salad to sit for about an hour so that flavors can meld before serving.

Chicken Schnitzel with Creamy White Wine Reduction

Ingredients:
6 chicken breasts, pounded very thin (1/2" or less)
Salt and pepper
1 cup sifted coconut flour
1 cup sifted coconut flour mixed with 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
4 eggs
4 tablespoons fresh parsley
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. nutmeg
4 tablespoons milk or cream
1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 lb. Kerrygold butter

Directions:
Salt and pepper the chicken breasts, then dip in sifted coconut flour evenly to coat. Mix eggs, parsley, cheese, nutmeg, milk, and mustard thoroughly in a medium-sized bowl, then add 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper and 1/2 tsp. salt and mix again. In a large shallow bowl spread out the coconut flour/unsweetened coconut mix. Dip each floured chicken breast into the egg mix and then dip both sides to coat in the coconut flour/unsweetened coconut mix.


In a large pan, melt 4 tbsp. butter on medium heat. Add breaded chicken breasts to the pan, turning after 3 or 4 minutes. Continue turning breasts every few minutes until all sides are golden brown and chicken is cooked through. (In my case, this was side A 3 minutes, side B 3 minutes, side A 3 minutes, side B 3 minutes.) Keep adding butter to the pan a little at a time while cooking in order to prevent burning; the chicken breasts will soak up a lot of the butter while in the pan.

Creamy White Wine Reduction

After chicken breasts are all cooked, add 1/2 c. cream or milk to the pan, with 2 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. white wine of choice. Use a spatula to scrape brown leftover schnitzel bits off of the bottom of the pan and keep stirring to combine while sauce reduces. Once desired thickness is reached, drizzle over plated Schnitzel.


Optional but fun addition: gluten-free beer. :)


10 comments:

  1. That's my favorite GF beer!! And now, of course, you realize I have to make schnitzel. LOL Thanks for the recipe!

    P.S. How do you get your photos to lay out in a collage like that? I've been trying different plug-ins and codes and just can't get it to look right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, AndreAnna! I do my collages using Picasa - there are a few quirks to the collage-making feature, but overall there are some good options within the program and it's very useful for putting a series together in short order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The schnitzel looks FAB! My daughter's favorite restaurant in the German Bier Stube one town over. I've had a lot of delicious schnitzel, but never gluten free. I'm going to have to try that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures of the gluten free food and beer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O mein Gott! I'm a German Schnitzel lover trapped in a Greek body. =) My mom grew up in Germany and we also lived there for a while in my teens. I grew up eating Schnitzel, and sometimes I just NEED to eat it. This sounds great, except I'm still (even after all this time being mostly paleo) having the hardest time wrapping my taste buds around coconut flour. Maybe I'll give it a shot with almond flour, and I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the lovely recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AO, das Essen sieht ganz gut aus! What can I sub for the potatoes if I'm not doing them? I'm a diabetic and choose not to take the shots. Would zucchini or yellow squash work? I guess I need to try & see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would go for rutabaga, jicama, or cauliflower as suitable potato substitutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg I've missed schnitzel soooo bad since going GF borderline paleo. I just made this for my dad's birthday and he loved it. I did add some flax meal and almond flour to temper the coconut flavor down. I'm going to try venison schnitzel next. thank you thank you THANK YOU for providing this Godsend of a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are going to be my lunches for this week :D Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This used to be my favorite dish. Thanks for reminding me how much i love this dish and have been missing it for so long!

    ReplyDelete

I cherish your comments, each and every one!

Please note that comments that are off-topic or of a gratuitously promotional nature will not be published. Also, for reasons of privacy, comments with my name or family members' names will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...